Friday, May 17, 2024

Spiritual experiences while on drugs. (rant)

Image by Midjourney


I haven't really been having dreams that would be interesting to share, lately, but I watched a Theo Von podcast with author Robert Greene today, and they talked about spiritual experiences with drugs. That got me thinking about a dream-like state I was in while under general anesthesia for a surgery a couple years ago. I would describe it as a spiritual experience. 

A nurse gave me a little cloth pouch with pink roses for my glasses after they wheeled me to the operating area. (I had forgotten to leave the glasses in my room.) I was having my period, and was nervous about this, but they assured me that it was okay. 

I drifted off to sleep and was transported to a world in which I revisited all the major people who had harmed me in life up to that point. I saw what was going on in their lives at the time, and I forgave them, one by one as I observed. I even felt a kind of platonic love for each of them, as fellow beings in this world. 

By the time I woke up, I had to have gone through dozens, and dozens, and dozens of people who I had been really upset at. I definitely felt as though I had left some kind of eternal afterlife and come back to the regular world. 

I wonder if this advanced state of understanding is what death will be like, or if the drugs I took just make some people feel extra generous towards others. But I described what happened to the healthcare workers, and they didn't make it seem like this is a common experience under this drug. 

No comments:

Post a Comment